It's funny how at one point in your life your friends are everything and your lives are hopelessly tangled with each others. Then with the blink of an eye you have no idea what is going on with one another. I have kept in contact with a few of my girlfriends through the years. One in particular I talk with almost every day, still. A few I talk with about monthly, and wish it was more. The relationships I have forged with these women has seen me through a good portion of my life. I love them, they are my chosen family. Sisters who I got to pick out for my very own. A blessing beyond comprehension. A special gift that I cherish with every single breath I take. I try to never take them for granted, and know in my heart they love me as very much as I love them.
That being said I also have male friends that I have had for a number of years. I do not talk with them like my girls. Seems I put out the effort and the men just don't. Just like real life! HAHA.... At any rate, I got a call last night from a male friend. Someone I have kept in contact with off and on since I was 16 years old. I was elated to hear his voice. We talked and laughed and reminisced for about an hour. So much has happened in our lives since we talked last. We hung up and I was left with sorrow. My friend is so different. My friend is not the same as I left him. My friend is addicted to drugs. I think my friend may be killing himself. I love the him I knew so much!! I am not sure if I love the current him with that much of a fever. Do I rush in to save him like I would if it were one of my girls? Do I let his wife sort out what surely is not my problem?? I slept restlessly knowing that I was so damn worried about him. My heart is full of sorrow and so very heavy today. He knows he has a problem. Did he call me to reach out for help?? I spoke with him frankly about the drugs I heard in his voice. I begged him to get help and he assured me he would. Still....I have the worst feeling in the pit of my belly. I guess for now I will let it be. I will keep in touch a bit more. I will pray for my friend to get help and happiness in his life. I hope my friend knows that I do love him, and will be filled with faith beyond belief that he finds a way to be comfortable in this thing we call life.
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, I think you have to decide for yourself if this person can be saved, wants to be saved, or just wants to be loved & left alone...always remember your own advice--"Love them, and hope for the best." If that's not good enough, you know I will always have your back if you need to go kidnap someone for an intervention. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are such a good person, you will be there for him if he needs you again and that is all you can do!! He has to get help for himself if he is going to get better. Just do what you said, hope and pray for the best for him and be available to talk to him when he wants to!! I am sure he knows that you love him or he would not have called you! I am sorry that you are sad!
ReplyDelete