Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Stuck in the 80's
Last Friday I went to get my hair cut and colored. The beautician looked at me with extreme displeasure and let me know that I was, "stuck in the 80's". For those of you who may not know I was a teenager in the eighties....I am sure that the things that I like may be hopelessly linked to that decade....But, who in the hell is she to tell me this? Anyway, later on in my huge beauty appointment the beautician turned up her nose at my choice of eyeliner. She let me know that purple was far too young for me and did not belong on the top and bottom of my eyes. Suddenly I realized that this woman thinks I am old. Are you frigging kidding me?? I started to question everything about myself in the hair and makeup departments. This woman reworked my makeup to give me the "smokey eyes". Ok.....I do not like the smokey eyes. I love them on some people but they are not for me. It is just way too much makeup and makes me feel too "made up" if that makes any sense. I allowed this woman to do my hair and makeup knowing full well when I left there the first thing I would do is go wash my face and curl my hair. The flat iron is just not for me. So, here is my point. Who gets to decide what it is that is hip and current, and wow?? I suppose the point of makeup is first and foremost to look attractive to others. Is it so far beyond the realm of possibility to think that I do not give a shit what others think, and I wear that purple eyeliner because I LOVE IT??? When I look in the mirror I see the most amazing green eyes staring back at me, surrounded by purple. I will never stop wearing what I like!!! I do not wear makeup to keep up. I do not wear makeup to be cool. I wear my makeup to make myself feel beautiful, period. End of story. I will not be pushed into wearing more or less, or this shade or that. I like what I do and I guess if I am stuck in the 80's then so be it. As far as my hair goes, it was bad then and has not gotten better through the years. If my cut is from the 80's, well here's a big frigging news flash, so am I!! I implore all women to actually do what makes you feel beautiful. If it's no makeup, cleopatra eyes, smokey eyes, no foundation, too much powder, bright red lipstick who gives a shit. Wear it for you sister!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Finally--someone gets "it!" You only get to live once, live it like it counts. If you go through life only worrying about what other people think of you, you will find yourself lost in a mid-life crisis because "you" don't really exist--just a string of what YOU thought other people wanted you to be! Find yourself before it's too late! BTW Neecie--I have the most beautiful green eyes as well...we must be related!
ReplyDeleteYou are so much cooler than that beautician!! She will never know the class that you behold!! hahahahahaha! She sounds like a JERK!! I love you, I think you are so strong and beautiful just the way you are!! You rock and never let anyone ever question that again!!! Love ya!! Michelle
ReplyDeleteI totally get u!!! The other day a girl at work told me she thought it was cool when people "my age" listened to 94.5 meaning Metallica and what not..Its all stuff I grew up on and still love...I may be stuck in the 80's or 90's as well??? LOL... Still wearin holey 501's and big silver hoops...Its who I am?? Like it or not right??!!!!!! I dont have to be "the normal" typical 40 year old!! How boring!!!! I love your purple eyeliner by the way!!! :) Also who the hell decides, what is appropriate for women of our our age to do, say or wear??? Love U!!!
ReplyDeleteYour gorgeous just the way you are!!!
ReplyDeleteDont change a thing!!!
You hold on to your same ol' eyeliner just as I will my same ol' lip stick!
Together we will be stuck in the 80's!
Love you lots!!!